Thread: Beginning Medieval 1: Total War again; Campaign Battles/Scenario Historical Battles are Tough!

Default Beginning Medieval 1: Total War again; Campaign Battles/Scenario Historical Battles are Tough!

Yeah, I'm kind of new to the forum but not to Total War gaming; its something I've played ever since Shogun. A few days ago I reinstalled Medieval Total War, mainly to see if I could complete the Historical Campaigns and Battles included.

Has anyone completed all of these? In my last run a few years ago I had only failed to complete two:

1) Battle of Patay
    2) Battle of San Romano

The difficulty of the battles in MTW1 seem to be MUCH harder then those in RTW and MTW2. Some were fairly easy, but many were killers; Hastings I only managed to complete once, and Horns of Hattin is always a to do.

Has anyone else found these difficult?

Default Re: Beginning Medieval 1: Total War again; Campaign Battles/Scenario Historical Battles are Tough!

Sure. Shogun and MTW1 are the hardest games in the series.
    When going back to them from RTW and M2:TW I faced unexpected high casualties compared to the easy wins in the newer games. Not only the historic battles but also the ones in the campaign.

Default Re: Beginning Medieval 1: Total War again; Campaign Battles/Scenario Historical Battles are Tough!

Joan of Arc's and Frederick's campaigns were difficult. In Shogun the difficult ones are of Hideyoshi's especially the last mission.

In newer Total War games the AI are more pathetic that is why winning was easier. I wish the AI in Shogun 2 would be much more challenging just like the old times.
    Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that- in chaos. The world is born from zero. The moment the world becomes one, is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two, two becomes ten, ten becomes one hundred. Taking it all back to one solves nothing. So long as zero remains, one will eventually grow to one hundred again. - Big Boss

I never really played Shogun; i played it briefly but it didn't appeal to me much. I bought Medieval first :p

Frederick campaign is really tough; probably the hardest one. The 2nd mission is almost impossible; outnumbered 3:1 with mostly Royal Knights against spearmen and need to keep at least 40% of your force left.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Horns of Hattin out of five tries I only managed once, after I made mincemeat of the infantry with the Mamluk Horse Archers. It took me 40 mins to win that battle.

Those battles were effing hard! Barbarossa had an impossible campaign, seriously, some battles were incredibly hard.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Horns of Hattin out of five tries I only managed once, after I made mincemeat of the infantry with the Mamluk Horse Archers. It took me 40 mins to win that battle.

Those battles were effing hard! Barbarossa had an impossible campaign, seriously, some battles were incredibly hard.
    Yeah, Horns of Hattin is extremely difficult, mainly because of the effing 100 Royal Knight king bodyguard of the French.

Barbarossa I got up to San Romeo (the battle where you had to hold off armies which outnumbered you at least 3:1 for 20 minutes, and if just 1 soldier entered the wagon circle you lost).......

Hastings was extremely difficult too.

Haha, I had past all the historical campaigns a few times.

Barbarossa's San Romeo you need archers (unlimited arrows) to help you to turn the tide showered the enemies with arrows, kill off their mounted surgeants or feudal knights. Withhold the Italian infantry with feudal foot knight unit, flanking with ur royal knights will be in ur advantage.

Battle of Hattin is extremely easy man, retreat then stuck them with saracen infantry, I always use heavy calvary & horse archers for backstabbing their knights that is very effective against their attack. This is call jamming the enemies attack & counter their weakness. Mobility is the key to win, don't get ur horses stuck in the front clashes, backstabbing is the winner!

Hastings is hard, u must find a way break into Harold's unit & win the battle, fake retreat or rout will be in ur trump card, so ur knights unit can get enemies weak points exposed.

I even get the last part of Barbarossa campaign which is extremely insane, but kill their king will guarantee the win. The hardest battles must be Barbarossa San Romeo & last battle.

Battle of Patay had one trick, move all ur chivalric Knights to 3 sides spread out, move ur spearmen, man-at-am at centre of the plain to lure most their calvary to the middle of battle map. If they come in 3 or 2 back stabbed them with ur knights. After finished the knights move ur spearman to counter the billmen & man-at-arm against longbow, assult their general with all ur knights. Remember stuck & backstabber always applied here--maneuvering is my key to win every battle. Infantries & spearman is my bait for the big fish!! Yummy!!

My skill is had horned well, here is my suggestions of campaigns
    Mongol, English Hundred Years' war Campaign, is freaking easy bro.
    Joan, Saladin, Richard Campaign-- moderate
    Barbarossa--All rounded test for all of u.
    Last edited by domainking; December 08, 2010 at 08:47 AM.