Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Default Re: Site Hack Attempt

You guys are great. Good job and all that stuff

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    You didn't read this at all did you?

It wasn't a proxy.
    Your data revealed he was using Firefox or perhaps Chrome which is pretty famous in Europe (at least FF).
    How do you know he was not proxying or otherwise obfuscating his IP, GED?
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Because I can resolve the IP to a known internet provider, not a proxy server. That doesn't mean it wasn't malware on someone's machine allowing him to go through them, but it wasn't a proxy.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Maybe this has been mentioned before but here's an idea (though I'm not entirely certain on whether it's possible or not) but place a limit on IP's accessing administrator accounts to only one per day/12 hours or whatever number you deem best?
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

It's not linked to the site hack attempt, but I keep getting js.js pop up each time I come on twc. Google tells me it's not welcome.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Maybe this has been mentioned before but here's an idea (though I'm not entirely certain on whether it's possible or not) but place a limit on IP's accessing administrator accounts to only one per day/12 hours or whatever number you deem best?
    Not practical since I connect routinely from at least 3 IPs, more if I'm on a mobile device, and I'm not the only admin who connects from multiple places.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    It's not linked to the site hack attempt, but I keep getting js.js pop up each time I come on twc. Google tells me it's not welcome.
    I'd do a full anti-virus/anti-malware scan. Is it just on TWC or does it happen on other sites as well? If only on TWC it might be a bad ad and we'd need to know which ads are running when you get that message.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    I'd do a full anti-virus/anti-malware scan. Is it just on TWC or does it happen on other sites as well? If only on TWC it might be a bad ad and we'd need to know which ads are running when you get that message.
    Just TWC, I'll take a pic of the ad next time. Do you need a right click/property on the ad as well?

Alright- multiple devices but from the same provider?
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Not practical since I connect routinely from at least 3 IPs, more if I'm on a mobile device, and I'm not the only admin who connects from multiple places.
    Yeah me too. I use more devices than I care to count, from more cities than I care to count.

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Alright- multiple devices but from the same provider?
    That wouldnt work at all. I bet I have connected from 10 cities with as many providers just in the last year alone. I travel quite a bit.

Of course, but I'm suggesting only one provider per day/within 12 hours or whatever time would be best- not the same year.
    The AI Workshop Creator

One question... what is the point of hacking TWC?
    what benefit is there? barely anything of actual monetary value is here. No credit card or bank account numbers, no real name/address, no personal information like Social Security Number or Passport number/code.
    So why in gods name hack this site? to screw with some modders? revenge for being banned? trolling?

Edit: So after reading page 2:

Is it really some hacker wannabe who wants to test their skills? Man... that guy though aren't there websites out there for people like him who want to test their skills?
    Last edited by Toho; April 10, 2015 at 04:39 PM.

today is different, I tried several times and I only get that when the ad on the right side is blank, regardless of the 2 ads in the top banner.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    One question... what is the point of hacking TWC?
    what benefit is there? barely anything of actual monetary value is here. No credit card or bank account numbers, no real name/address, no personal information like Social Security Number or Passport number/code.
    So why in gods name hack this site? to screw with some modders? revenge for being banned? trolling?

Edit: So after reading page 2:

Is it really some hacker wannabe who wants to test their skills? Man... that guy though aren't there websites out there for people like him who want to test their skills?
    Most hackers go after three things when hacking a website: email addresses, passwords and other stuff that is private to your account (such as Private Messages).

I suspect finding valuable private information, especially in a forum such as TWC, to be extremely rare. But with an email and password a hacker can do things like:

Try to access your account on other sites such as Facebook, GMail, Bank Websites, etc....

Now that wont work if you use a different password and/or email address - etc. But not everyone does this.

Ofcourse it could be just a test. It could be for fun. It's hard to say.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Isn't this part of the site unavailable to guest?

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

No, it never has been since its news about the site.

He was probably attempting to discover the identity of some member and he hoped to achieve that by finding that person's email address.

That's the only reason for trying to hack a site like TWC. Somebody must be very pissed off with somebody else here.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    I get the exactly the same message, (i.e. "do you want to open or save js.js from pixel.mathtag.com"), when I log onto the TWC, even when logging on from a number of different pc's.

I first noticed this yesterday when I tried to download the Darthmod for NTW with links to a server (moddb) direct from TWC. I have been wondering if TWC has been infected with malware?

Isn't it likely Hackers may target this very popular and trusted forum to spread infected files?
    Last edited by Plain Speaking; April 18, 2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: clarification

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotShazam View Post
    The most appropriate video you could possibly post here. I do love me some Archer.

Thanks for sharing the story of the failed hack, GED.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123