Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Lock him up! Former PotUS Trump indicted

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: Lock him up! Former PotUS Trump indicted

I wouldn't discount NY-ers, there's plenty who are just as dedicated to the cult, especially a lot of older NY-ers (granted NYC by and large is pretty anti-Trump). Not that I think they should put Trump fanatics on the jury just as much as they shouldn't put passionate Trump haters there either.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    I wouldn't discount NY-ers, there's plenty who are just as dedicated to the cult, especially a lot of older NY-ers (granted NYC by and large is pretty anti-Trump). Not that I think they should put Trump fanatics on the jury just as much as they shouldn't put passionate Trump haters there either.
    IIRC Trump himself is from New York.
    This seems like a case where finding an impartial jury would be rather difficult.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Guilty on all charges. We'll see what happens with sentencing, appeals, etc. The cult is absolutely malding right about now.
    Last edited by irontaino; Yesterday at 04:33 PM.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

The cult is absolutely malding right about now.
    Well that's the problem with people who politicians not as representatives, but as champions. They are tying their own self-esteem to the fate of their hero, which means they'll go to extreme lengths in their support, because if the hero falls, a part of themselves crumbles with it.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Guilty on all charges. We'll see what happens with sentencing, appeals, etc. The cult is absolutely malding right about now.
    Yeap, Saw it here.

This may indeed help Biden's sinking campaign. The question is whether this will pull Trump under for good or it would create a temporary drop that he would eventually overcome
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

I would like to congratulate president Put... eer Biden for leading an impartial and democratic administration that would never weaponise the judiciary in order to hunt down their political enemies. The criminal Naval... eer Trump has today been convicted in an absolutely politically unbiased trial, that had nothing to do with him being a political adversary. May I further suggest an arctic prison to house the felon, somewhere in Sib.... eer Alaska for instance.

On a more serious note, this conviction to me represents yet another milestone in the extreme political polarisation of America. How soon I wonder, before the other side retaliates now that this bridge has been crossed? And perhaps more importantly where does this end?

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I would like to congratulate president Put... eer Biden for leading an impartial and democratic administration that would never weaponise the judiciary in order to hunt down their political enemies. The criminal Naval... eer Trump has today been convicted in an absolutely politically unbiased trial, that had nothing to do with him being a political adversary. May I further suggest an arctic prison to house the felon, somewhere in Sib.... eer Alaska for instance.

On a more serious note, this conviction to me represents yet another milestone in the extreme political polarisation of America. How soon I wonder, before the other side retaliates now that this bridge has been crossed? And perhaps more importantly where does this end?
    Trump was convicted by a New York state court; the federal government has no say in the matter.

Besides, as I understand it the charges on which Trump was convicted probably won't lead to a prison sentence anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor
    This was about local New York politics hitching a ride on the liberal establishment’s campaign against Trump. While the Biden Admin is certainly the beneficiary of that campaign and this outcome, it isn’t necessarily something where bias in the DOJ/FBI or federal officials came into play, as it did during Russiagate. Bragg bet his career as a NYC DA on getting a conviction from a NYC jury, and it worked.

I am hopeful the nature of conservatism holds back the binary aspect of US politics, the way it did with Biden’s impeachment inquiry. While Trump’s conviction represents the first real success of the years long campaign to get one, I don’t know how it will impact the election. It could drive voter turnout among his base, but that depends on Trump’s reaction on the campaign trail.

It will also further damage his prospects with moderate voters, and he’s already at a demographic disadvantage running as a conservative. Most voters say the verdict doesn’t affect their willingness to vote for him, but on the other hand, twice as many say they’re less likely to than more as a result. If that’s accurate, it could mean mission accomplished, and a more consequential one than any amount of foreign election interference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser101
    Besides, as I understand it the charges on which Trump was convicted probably won't lead to a prison sentence anyway.
    The judge has the power to sentence him to prison for a very long time, but the average sentence doesn’t involve jail time. And that’s aside from the unique logistical difficulties of the worst case scenario. Trump will almost certainly appeal and that process could take years to litigate. He could reasonably request under the circumstances that his sentence be suspended for the duration anyway. The real damage is institutional. Not even presidents are safe from efforts to use the justice system to target political enemies. A successful appeal will not erase this precedent.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Laser101 View Post
    Trump was convicted by a New York state court; the federal government has no say in the matter.
    No, officially it doesn't. The key word here is of course officially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    The real damage is institutional. Not even presidents are safe from efforts to use the justice system to target political enemies. A successful appeal will not erase this precedent.
    This is what I was referring to when I asked how long before the other side retaliates. If I was Trump and I won the upcoming election now, after all this interference and shenanigans, I would have an axe to grind the size of Texas if not bigger.