Thread: Oriental Empires

Default Oriental Empires

Thought I should bring this to attention, this is an early access 4X strategy game. So far so ordinary.

The interesting part is the leading devs are two TW Veterans: R.T. Smith and John Carline.

Smith has worked on TW from Shogun to MedII, or as we might call it, the Golden Age of TW, in MedII he was Lead Designer and Project Director. He is also listed as Battle Logic&AI programmer in Medieval I.

The game quite resembles Civ, but it also has real time battles, you can't control them directly though and they are rather short (1-2 min).

Here is a Q&A with him and some screens

http://www.matchstickeyes.com/2015/06/15/oriental-empires-qa-with-bob-smith/

About Oriental Empires
    Step into the world of the ancient Orient. Control a city or tribe from the dawn of Chinese history, and turn it into a great empire. Develop your land, create great cities, raise huge armies and fight epic wars. Advance your technology, culture and religion to create one of mankind’s great civilizations. All the action takes place on one spectacular game map that brings to life the mountains, forests, plains and deserts of China. Zoom in close to review your troops and see your peasants toiling, or zoom out for a strategic overview. Plan your battles, end your turn, and then watch as your armies obey your orders, with hundreds of soldiers battling right on the game map.

Key Features
    • Start out as a single nation or tribe, starting from humble beginnings with a single settlement and expand your empire and develop your culture with the aim of becoming the universally recognized Son of Heaven and ruler of the world.
    • Persuade the other factions to recognize you as such by either military force, or by diplomatic persuasion.
    • Play as one of 16 different factions each with their own special bonuses or penalties.
    • Vast beautifully rendered map featuring an attractive and authentic depiction of the landscape of China and Mongolia.
    • Large scale battles with hundreds or thousands of soldiers, depicted in detail right on the game map. Watch skilled armies and reinforcements go to battle, according to the battle orders and formations set by the player.
    • Fully animated 3D models, with variations in face and clothing for each model, including infantry, cavalry, chariot and artillery units, as well as naval forces.
    • Long seamless zoom range lets you step right into the game world or zoom out for a strategic overview.
    • Develop your settlements by constructing buildings and developing the landscape around them, build markets and ports to enable trade by land and water.
    • Elaborate research tree including technology as well as cultural, philosophical and religious developments.
    • Many other elements will determine the outcome of you quest for dominance such as Leaders, Sieges, Unrest and Rebellion, and Authority and Culture ratings.
    • As Emperor, set edicts, laws and decrees to balance power and move into a glorious new Era, with new technologies and military units that change the game!

Last edited by Candy_Licker; August 11, 2015 at 09:39 AM.

Default Re: Oriental Empires

Being as it was set for early access this summer, I was hoping for it to be released by now. Another few weeks of summer left so we shall see. Looks very interesting.

dalapto's Avatar Libertus

I saw this as well, and thought it was interesting, now they also have a website.
    http://www.orientalempires.com/index.html

Foederatus

It looks interesting. Looking forward on it.

Early access wont be available until November...
    https://twitter.com/Iceberg_Int/stat...43377999069185

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Early access wont be available until November...
    https://twitter.com/Iceberg_Int/stat...43377999069185
    Thanks for the info, there is also another preview linked

http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/orien...edium=facebook

Conclusion
    I left the presentation thinking that this game may well prove to be a litmus test for the Total War franchise itself. Whereas Total War has grown stale over the last few years, Oriental Empires is mixing everything up. More importantly, it daringly innovates in areas where an adventurous mind could see Total War innovate in future iterations as well. Will Total War fans flock to Oriental Empires, or will the game prove Creative Assembly right that their fans don’t want change as much as they think they do? Intriguing.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess for most TW fans it would be a real downer that it's not a full battle simulator - but actually I wouldn't mind. I've grown bit tired of micromanaging 20-40 regiments who couldn't go to the toilet alone without you babysitting them - which was often more of a challenge than the enemy AI itself. It would actually be cool to watch and enjoy battles for once if they are presentation is good and not as stale as Civ or Galactic Civ for example.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; August 23, 2015 at 12:32 PM.

I guess for most TW fans it would be a real downer that it's not a full battle simulator - but actually I wouldn't mind. I've grown bit tired of micromanaging 20-40 regiments who couldn't go to the toilet alone without you babysitting them
    Yeah and besides, I highly doubt ancient wars were fought with the aid of helicopters and radio transmittors to micromanage troops during battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    Yeah and besides, I highly doubt ancient wars were fought with the aid of helicopters and radio transmittors to micromanage troops during battle.
    I am eagerly waiting for that epic wargame that combines the production values + graphics of Total War with extreme tactical realism + chain of command simulation of Command Ops.

Histwar Napoleon seems to be heading in somewhat that direction, but its been releasing "very soon" for more than a year.

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

Is there any reason why CA has never made a China or India total war?

SEGA owns CA, and as a Japanese company it's possible they avoid China, as relations since WWII haven't improved significantly.
    Either are an obvious choice for a Total War but my guess is that at the moment CA is going to focus on Medieval III or another rehash of a previous title if we follow the pattern.

Well Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms are made by japanese devs.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

I was thinking that too, but maybe SEGA is a bit more conservative in their views.