Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Reposted from BSF

From Bethesda Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Gstaff
    We’ve had a long and excellent relationship with our good friends at Valve. We worked together to make the Workshop a huge part of Skyrim, and we’re excited that something we’ve been working together on for a long time is finally happening. You can now charge for the mods you create.

Unlike other curated games on Steam that allow users to sell their creations, this will be the first game with an open market. It will not be curated by us or Valve. It was essential to us that our fans decide what they want to create, what they want to download, and what they want to charge.

Many of our fans have been modding our games since Morrowind, for over 10 years. They now have the opportunity to earn money doing what they love – and all fans have a new way to support their favorite mod authors. We’ve also updated Skyrim and the Creation Kit with new features to help support paid mods including the ability to upload master files, adding more categories and removing filesize limit restrictions.

What does this mean for you?

As a modder, you now have the option of listing your creations at a price determined by you. Or, you can continue to share your projects for free. For those shopping for new mods, Valve is making sure you can try any mod risk free.

For full details on these changes to the Skyrim Workshop, check out Steam’s announcement page and FAQ.

Modding has been important to all our games for such a long time. We try to create worlds that come alive and you can make your own, but it’s in modding where it truly does.

Thanks again for all your incredible support over the years. We hope steps like this breathe new life into Skyrim for everyone.

- Bethesda Game Studios
    You can also learn more on Steam, including a FAQ you'll want to read, right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gstaff
    For convenience, here's the Valve FAQ on paid mods....

For Creators

Q. How do I set the price of my item?
    A. When posting a new mod or item to the Skyrim Workshop you’ll be presented with some controls and a checklist to get your item listed for sale.

Q. How much should I charge for my item?
    A. The appropriate price for your mod, map, or item will depend on a number of factors. Here are some things to think about:
    1. How many similar items are already available for sale or for free?
    2. How much unique content have you created? Is this something which is hard for others to do?
    3. How many hours of playtime does your experience offer?

Q. Can I change the price of my item once posted?
    A. Yes, but there may be limitations on how frequently you can adjust your price.

Q. What if I see someone posting content I've created?
    A. If someone has copied your work, please use the DMCA takedown notice.

Q. Can I include someone else's mod in my mod?
    A. The Steam Workshop makes it easy to allocate and approve portions of your item’s revenue with other collaborators or co-authors.

Q. Can I delete my Workshop item?
    A. You can stop selling and delist your Workshop item, but it cannot be deleted. If there are customers have purchased your item, they will need continued access to the mod as well as your Workshop page so they can reference the items they have purchased.

Q. How do I get paid for sales of my item?
    A. Please see Workshop Revenue FAQ

Q. Can I sell the mods I’ve made for other games in the Steam Workshop?
    A. It is up to the developers or publisher of each game to decide if paid Workshop mods are appropriate for their game. You will only be able to sell mods for a game in the Steam Workshop if the developers have enabled that functionality.

Q. Can I sell a mod that contains artwork or content from another game or movie?
    A. You must have the necessary rights to post any content that you post to the Steam Workshop, whether it is for sale or not. If you upload copyrighted content that you or your contributors do not have the rights to distribute, then you may forfeit all earned revenue from the item, may be liable for damages and compensation, and may be banned from future participation in this Workshop or the Steam Community in general.

For Players

Q. Can I get a refund?
    A. If you discover that a mod does not work for you, or does not meet your expectations based on the description of the mod, you can get a refund within 24 hours of your purchase. You can view the full refund policy here.

Q. How much do paid mods cost?
    A. The prices for mods are set by their authors, and depend on their size, complexity, and the type of content. Unique quests that may contain dozens of hours of playtime will probably cost more than a new hat for your character.

Q. Where can I find the mods I've purchased?
    A. In your Steam Inventory

Q. Why can't I rate all the mods I see in the Steam Workshop?
    A. For paid Workshop items, you need to have purchased the item before you can rate it.

Q. What happens if a mod I bought breaks?
    A. Sometimes one mod may modify the same files as another mod, or a particular combination of mods may cause unexpected outcomes. If you find that mod has broken or is behaving unexpectedly, it is best to post politely on the Workshop item's page and let the mod author know the details of what you are seeing.

Q. Couldn’t I already buy items made in the Workshop?
    A. While a few games support voting for items to be integrated by game developers and sold in-game as items or DLC, there hasn’t until now been a way to buy items directly through the Workshop. With paid mods and items becoming available for sale on the Workshop itself, it means more high quality items, mods, and experiences can be made available for your favorite games.

Q. How do I play a Skyrim mod I’ve purchased or subscribed to?
    A. Once you’re acquired a new mod, simply launch Skyrim from your Steam library. When the launcher appears, you’ll notice status text on the lower-left as your game downloads and installs or updates new content. Once that’s done, you’re ready to go!

You can also use the “Data Files” portion of the launcher to activate or deactivate specific mods. If you’re unsure how to access new content in-game (such as figuring out which in-game vendor carries Lydia’s new hat) it’s best to check the Workshop page for that mod to see if the author has provided any clues or instructions.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

TiagoJRToledo's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

I've only now seen this, and it's ing ridiculous. I shiver at the thought if this idea happened when TWCenter was beginning and growing... This is a sad day for Steam and Modding in general.
    But don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to modders getting compensation for their work, but I don't believe that locking content behind a pay-wall is the course of action to take. Patreon integration on your modding platform is a much better way to support modders, and to reward those that produce high-end content and those that, well, not so much.

Edit: Link to the steam page: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent
    AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON VALVE TAKING 75% OF ALL REVENUE, AND MODDERS ONLY GET PAID AFTER REACHING A SALES VALUE OF 100$
    Last edited by TiagoJRToledo; April 23, 2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Pisssed and forgot stuff

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

Im so freaking mad right now that while i had never been banned or received a warning or mute in any internet forum, i got muted in taleworlds for 1 week and am banned from the steam community for 1 week as well.

Updated my skyrim steam review: (with a down vote)

Great game with all the 100+ mods i have (literally i just counted its more than 100). Not worth without them.
    All mods were downloaded from the nexus. In an month all the mods will come over here to the freaking steam shop and charge for them, while either delleting them in the nexus or keeping really outdated versions of them in there.

Dont believe me? This already started, just check Wet and cold.

v2.0 here in steam workshop

v1.4 in the nexus.

GO to freaking hell valve bethesda and Gaben
    Last edited by Wulfburk; April 23, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

TiagoJRToledo's Avatar Miles

My feelings right now.

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

Steam has a {somewhat} monopoly on pc gaming. While there are other online distributors ,there are none that are bigger than Steam/Valve. This sets a dangerous precedent and a slippery slope which was actually started around 10 years ago by the same company{valve}. I do not support this nor their greed in anyway.

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Bethesda is going the way of Ubisoft, EA, and the rest of the crappy publishers. It's a wonder it took them this long to take advantage of the modding community. If this blows up though and people have to pay for most of their mods then it could backfire tremendously, unless the games are way better in quality than they are now. Most people use the mods to make up for what the vanilla game is lacking.
    Last edited by Turkeys!; April 24, 2015 at 06:41 AM.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Protector Domesticus

As long as the Modders have the choice to charge for their mods or not, i don't really see the issue with Valve offering this service.

Most of the complaints about this service so far that Ive seen are with the Modding community's use of the service rather then the service itself.

Centenarius

I don't like this thing
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeys! View Post
    It's a wonder it took them this long to take advantage of the modding community. If this blows up though and people have to pay for most of their mods then it could backfire tremendously, unless the games are way better in quality than they are now. Most people use the mods to make up for what the vanilla game is lacking.
    Unfortunately, it has already backfired and the OP in the linked WIP-thread are now gone thanks to Bethesda's decision to allow paid mods on Skyrim WS.

This quoted post is exactly what I feel about paid mods.
    Last edited by Leonardo; April 24, 2015 at 08:04 AM.

Senator

Well one paid mod by Chesko is already down thanks to him using a another modders work....
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Facupay's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    Well one paid mod by Chesko is already down thanks to him using a another modders work....
    This is one big can of worms.

How is Valve going to control people don't steal eachother's mods?

This would create a very toxic enviroment for any modding community.
    HUMAN IS FISH ISLAM IS WATER. COME TO WATER AND BE RELAX...

If you oppose this atack against the Modding community you must sign this petition to stop it:

https://www.change.org/p/valve-remov...fb_ref=Default

And what about mods that use stuff from LOTR and the such, like LOTR weapons mod?

There is even 1 guy selling 1 freaking sword for 3 bucks, and the sword is from Dota and he says it himself.

Is DOTA getting any share of the money?

If i make a star wars mod with clone trooper armors and charge for it.

Will lucasarts/disney get the money?!

With the current system. No it wont. Therefore its ilegal for me to ask payment for such mods. But valve does not do about it and lets me sell it all the same.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Facupay View Post
    This is one big can of worms.

How is Valve going to control people don't steal eachother's mods?

This would create a very toxic enviroment for any modding community.
    It sure is and these posts (#42, #43) has comments about Chesko's decisions and reactions.

Senator

Chesko had enough and Wet and Cold is apparently not sold on the workshop anymore.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Is it the victory of the pc master race?

All paid mods im trying to enter their page in the steam workshop are now disabled...

Did you read the links in those posts I linked to? If not Chesko is leaving the Curated Skyrim Workshop and are serious considering to remove all his mods on Nexus.

Chesko alone is probably going to leave the nexus and reupload somewhere else, cause he's butthurt.

But im talking about all the other paid mods, they are now all disabled in the steam workshop, including wet and cold and all those 1 sword

Also kotaku assisting the master race cause:

VICTORY FOR THE MASTER RACE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast