Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1934353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Rome II: Thoughts from Late Roman Players, please!

Default Re: Rome II: Thoughts from Late Roman Players, please!

Since it's surreal beliefs playing it I can probably play it too.

Battles, as long as I got optimal build: Good to go. If not ripping apart the ai I'll defeat them.

Campaign, need to adjust to ui which is full of buttons with black icons which all look the same. (Ui looks hideous in general, I don't even want to see it)
    炸鸡

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    Since it's surreal beliefs playing it I can probably play it too.

Battles, as long as I got optimal build: Good to go. If not ripping apart the ai I'll defeat them.

Campaign, need to adjust to ui which is full of buttons with black icons which all look the same. (Ui looks hideous in general, I don't even want to see it)
    Well, I'm getting used to the unit symbols. After that they don't bother you and that bit is the least of the worries. However I did prefer the Shogun 2 style UI which had useful controls. I persevered with hard a bit more, but I think I'll wimp out and try normal. The buggers are all over the place. I'll have to space the champions out a bit more to do damage to roving bans. In Rome2 the AI is more aggressive and Caesar in Gaul even more so. I used Radious AI mod for Rome 2 but I don't it need for the DLC.

Caesar in Gaul should have it's own thread in the main forum. It makes the main game look silly.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

What I find absolutely disgusting are those enormous towns on the campaign map! Why CA has had this idiotic idea? in the antiquity Europe was not like the modern USA: enormous towns here and there in the void! This is a total misunderstanding of the history of the terriotory in Europe during the Roman iron Age! This is a fasification of the Gallic and Roman civilizations? Where is the European territory? Where are the tissue of small villages, and where is the hierarchy of the towns? Where is the distinction between Urbes and Municipia? Where is the Celtic territorial structure?

Give us back France and Italy and Spain, Lusted!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    What I find absolutely disgusting are those enormous towns on the campaign map!
    Well that doesn't look as bad in CIG. Since the Map only has Gaul with part of Italy and Britain, the scale is different. In other respects the Campaign Map for CIG is slightly better as well.
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

I don't know about your opinion guys but I'm out of this. After every patch I check the game again just to see that nothing is changed. I was always excited but I'm tired now. I'm really tired to read about useless fixes which make nothing to fix the game! I can close my eyes for everything else if they fix it but hey - they don't even listening us...

Even with 9 patches RTW2 is a TOTAL fiasco!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiBG View Post
    I don't know about your opinion guys but I'm out of this. After every patch I check the game again just to see that nothing is changed. I was always excited but I'm tired now. I'm really tired to read about useless fixes which make nothing to fix the game! I can close my eyes for everything else if they fix it but hey - they don't even listening us...

Even with 9 patches RTW2 is a TOTAL fiasco!
    I wouldn't say that, CIG is proving to be cracker game. The AI makes way better moves strategically and tactically than was ever the case in Rome 1.

There are path finding issues. I was defending a Roman city against Gauls, in one case I tried to click some Legionaries to sally forth from the gates and attack the Gauls, instead they all headed away from the gates being assaulted towards the gates at the other end of the town. This isn't all the time, but occasionally.

But it beats Rome 1 where defending walls was pointless, since the defenders always had nervous breakdowns if out numbered.

wulfgar, on the homepage I've seen you have another DLC to purchase .... it's called something like 'Beasts of War'! Wow! Sadly this means more money and.... money, money, money ....

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    wulfgar, on the homepage I've seen you have another DLC to purchase .... it's called something like 'Beasts of War'! Wow! Sadly this means more money and.... money, money, money ....
    I'm giving that one and the blood one a miss, in any case I got enough dogs in it already. I bought the Greek states along with CIG but whether I get into playing Greeks I don't know? Besides they look like something from the 5th century BC they must have been different equipment by the era of the game. How long did they use that hoplon anyway?

Get Games has a sale on Rome 2 at the moment, 50% off!

http://getgamesgo.com/product/total-war-rome-2-live

Last edited by wulfgar610; March 08, 2014 at 11:48 PM.

CrativA$$€mb£y: 'New DLC: Hannibal ad Portas!'

.... Money, money, money, money, ... money, ... money ... money ....

If a DLC comes with a new more detailed map and a scenario, then it's quite a fair buy!

As for money I don't think CA's sees all that much of it. According to VGchartz the main game has sold about 450,000 copies in the European (EU, Americas and their Anglo dependents) dominated world and Japan retail markets so far of the 800,000 licenses that were created. With CA getting $20 per main game so the story goes. Their biggest seller Empire sold almost a million main game. With Nappy and Shogun2 selling about 600,000 to 500,000 each. CA employs 100 to 200 people so their running costs could be getting towards 10 million pa. With all that their prices are quite reasonable and they aren't rolling in money. The company has done a serious cut back closing their Australian branch and along with that the better sound tracks that featured in their earlier games. It's a niche game that appeals to history nerds with Europe being their big market by far.

So is it $€ga that is making money .... well, well, well.... interesting data, boss!

- What I find surprising is the leadership position of Empire! I mean: c'mon RTW and Med 2 are still selling on Steam, how is it possible that the worst title of the serie is at the top?

- And more:

A - 'Inter omnes constat' that Napoleon and Shogun are wonderful games, probably the best titles by CA*.

B - ... but people buy Empire, probably the worst title by CA.

C - Ergo: people (Europeans) is a mass of morons!

*Not having Rome 2 I cannot express my thoughts on the game ....

All depends on you're tastes I suppose. I perordered Rome1, played it for a while and got bored with it. I never ran out to grab BI so maybe I was a little disenchanted with the product. A friend showed me BI so paid I $20 some time after its initial release. But I played BI obsessively for a long time, possibly because I've always found the Late Empire more interesting. I tried Med2 as the Venetians and found it amusing for a while but it ultimately never grabbed me. In Empire was an amusing but ultimately meaningless game strategically. Nappy was a better game but gets a little ho hum by the end of it all. Shogun was comparable with Nappy. Rome2 was a bit the same. CIG is the most challenging I've come across, the nations are not tame and the diplomacy is functional unlike Rome1. But BI is still my favorite game of the series.

But the strategy side of TW tends to be little dull and lack atmosphere. The Map is just too generic and so are the nations. Artistically Rome2 is failure in a lot of ways. But a benefit of the "warscape" series is nations can resurrect via rebellion which was downside of Rome1, back then wipe out a nation and they don't return. This made the game dull as it progressed.

I wonder how things will work out with a late empire version of the game?

From what I can figure the basic game engines have been a product of a another company and CA adapted it to their use. There are basic builds in the game which they admitted were licensed to them from another company.

Anyway there's a new DLC coming out soon "Hannibal at the Gates" with a map based on the Western Mediterranean.
    Last edited by wulfgar610; March 13, 2014 at 07:05 PM.

I admit that, now, with this new machine, probably the best game for mods is Med2, I've just installed Call of Warhammer and I'm having tons of pure fun! The Russian modders are absolutely true Artists!
    But the Mods for Med2 are many and awesome: Invasio Barbarorum 2, De Bello Mundi, The Last Kingdom, and the incoming The Great Conflicts, 1648 the 30YW Mod, and For King or Country are simply awesome.

Actually I don't exclude to buy Rome 2 in the future (especially if they'll really produce an IB expansion) but ... it's not the historical game I love to play, I mean, this time without any polemic intent, that the direction taken by CA is not what I like.

They are not the only ones, DoW2 and CoH2 are nice games but also in this case they are not what I would like to play on my PC! It's strange but it seems that the main companies have taken exactly the opposite direction respect what I would like ... but what can I do? Nothing, of course.

I can only thank the Gods for having still some old game & Mod to play on my machine, sadly, being not Caligula, as I wish , I cannot exert any influence on the legitimate choices of the major companies.

Get it while it's hot! Steams got a 50% off sale on the main game of Rome2 for another 40 hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214950/

Definitely add the CIG DLC to the package. Rome2 is like Empire, but CIG is like Nappy in comparison and the far better game.

Playing night and day, skip breakfast, skip lunch. CIG has turned me back into a TW zombie.

10 hours left on the Steam half price.
    Last edited by wulfgar610; March 18, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

Hannibal at the Gates DLC is out. Reviews seem to be positive. With me it might have to wait until I get bored with CIG.

I can already see tens of damn f..... Elephants .... and their stench is almost unbearable!

Any comment about Hannibal?

Hannibal Barca I mean, not Lecter! ... OK! It was idiotic!

Now seriously, have you any comment about the new expansion?

I don't know when I'll be interested in purchasing and playing it, still on CIG and when I get sick of that I'll give Rome2 a rest for a while.

There's a thread on the main forum covering the subject.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ems-to-be-good

They've added seasons to the main game now. Each year is a different season. Improves the character of the game. They've changed the terrain in the battlefield environments as well.