Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worth buying?

Slimshoom's Avatar Civitate

Default worth buying?

hey i own MTW and RTW, and for some reason MTW no longer works on my comp, i was thinking of buying STW as a replacement and as something to add variety to my playing time
    Under the Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus
    Grandson of the Black Prince

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

A lot of people say they like shogun best, but IMO it can't compare to MTW. All the factions have the same feel to them, and the same units. Castles are just hills, etc. But it is still fun, and if MTW doesn't work, and it is like $10, I say go for it.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

I don't have it but from those I heard it was a very good game for its time. I am going to buy it too, so I will have the whole TW collection until now. I agree with the_mango55, go for it!
    New pics on 24/4/2007

What do you mean MTW no longer works on your comp? Do you mean youve scratched the disc beyond recognition...or...is it in relatively good condition and it just wont spin when you put it into your CD tray? Cuz theres ways around that...you could manually startup the disc or even buy a new CD drive (theyre cheap) and see if that helps.

Civitate

Well MTW no longer works on my PC either, its not because the disk is scratched. It used to work, but now it just dosent. Not sure why, but alot of people seem to be experiencing this problem. I will almost definetly get STW.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

drisos's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55
    All the factions have the same feel to them
    Not correct.

Castles are just hills, etc.
    ouch... where've you heard that? Castles are in no way comparable to hills.

Shaun, I'd say get your hands on a copy

Civitate

Just did, Warlord edition, £5 off of play.com, what a great buy!
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Well have lots of fun playing. It feels different from any RTW / MTW experience.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Feels is the right word to use for STW. What Mtw has in functional ease and straightforward gameply,Shogun has in style and elegance.After all the Medieval period was much cruder and sadistic than the more morally bound Japaness culture. This game really has flair and is quite beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr Dark Lake
    After all the Medieval period was much cruder and sadistic than the more morally bound Japaness culture.
    When I think of medieval Japan I think of Mass-beheadings and people cutting their own stomach. But maybe it's just me little ignorant who doesn't know anything about this "honour"-thing

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55
    All the factions have the same feel to them,.
    I agree. Not enough unit diversity for me.

I also find the battles a mite annoying. Maybe part of it is that now I'm spoilt with the RTW/BI visuals. But I also didn't enjoy chasing the enemy all round the battlefield and having to corner him before he would fight. That, for me, was much more annoying than anything RTW/BI has thrown at me yet.

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

I think all the games have a different "feel" to them. If I were you, I'd get it, seeing as how its pretty cheap.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Get it. It is well worth it. The atmosphere of the game is great, I have Shogun, Total War: War Lord Edition. The mini Videos of assinations and attempts are fantastic. Graphics date, but the atmosphere. I wish RTW and MTW had it. Be prepared to change your in battle game style. Playing MTW threw me for a loop until I learned that spearman in MTW are not like in STW.

Default Re: worth buying?

Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine
    Get it. It is well worth it. The atmosphere of the game is great, I have Shogun, Total War: War Lord Edition. The mini Videos of assinations and attempts are fantastic. Graphics date, but the atmosphere. I wish RTW and MTW had it. Be prepared to change your in battle game style. Playing MTW threw me for a loop until I learned that spearman in MTW are not like in STW.
    well mtw2 will have the videos, i like stw, i got it after rtw, i found shogun harder, the factions may seem the same at first but certian clans are better at diffrent things, like one clan can get cheaper cav y another can get cheaper archers. mongols are also fun to play with, also the is a exp called mongol invasion
    Si vis pacem, parem bellum
    If you seek peace, prepare for war
    -Publius Renatus

Slimshoom's Avatar Civitate

dude i cant find STW like anywhere
    maybe i will have to order it online somewhere...
    Under the Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus
    Grandson of the Black Prince

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Hey! Do you have a nVidia graphics card? If so that is your problem, set the card to run at 2x AA and MTW should work

edit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOGUN-TOTAL-WAR...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOGUN-TOTAL-WAR...QQcmdZViewItem

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Slug For A Butt
    I also find the battles a mite annoying. I didn't enjoy chasing the enemy all round the battlefield and having to corner him before he would fight.
    Hell, I just do the auto-resolve. That's what I do on MTW as well. The battles aren't what's fun for me; it's the strategy and logistics that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by drisos
    Not correct.
    Exactly. All of the clans have very different specializations, bonuses, and weaknesses. Like, if you're a defensive player, then play as Hojo, they have the best castles, but if you like cavalry strikes, use Takeda; but, if you like to use sneakiness and stealth to take out your opponents and then clean up the remains, use Imagawa/Tokugawa.

I prefer STW to MTW. Just a nicer style in my view.

Shogun does have limited unit roster compared to Medieval, but in the campaign each faction has different strengths and weaknesses which compensate somewhat for that. I think Shogun's real strength is it's atmosphere: neither Medieval nor Rome come anywhere near Shogun in that regard, both in the battles and the campaign. Multimedia elements such as the Throne Rome and the famous movies are sorely missed in Medieval and Rome, I'm very pleased that CA are revisiting them for M2TW.

In the UK Shogun TW Warlord Edition (which includes the Mongol Invasion expansion) is available very cheaply as part of the Sold Out budget range, which is very widely distributed. It might be worth checking the UK version of Amazon or something to see whether you can get it from there.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

when u tried to install it did it hasall u about patching?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast