• Yes

52 46.43%
  • No

60 53.57%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: who else thinks Shogin total war was a wierd place to start

Default Re: who else thinks Shogin total war was a wierd place to start

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    That's probably true, at least in part. Shogun was that rarest of things -- a truly revolutionary game. Even though very few developers have attempted to duplicate what CA has done with the Total War series, it doesn't change the fact that STW forever altered the strategy game genre. (There's a fair few of us who still remember watching the very first teaser trailer released, and how our collective jaws all hit the floor.... )
    I remember getting a rolling demo disc free with an old video card. When I first saw it, my reaction was the same as yours and I was disappointed that it wasn't out at that point. I had a shorter attention span back then and forgot about it . Then I saw Med in a store at a later date and was like, "Oh yeah, that other game!". So I got both and there was much rejoicing. Pity Shogun doesn't like my current PC .

Yeah, it's very unfortunate that the older games seem to have so many compatibility problems with new computers, especially with respect to video cards. I just wish that CA and Nvidia would stop pointing fingers at each other and just fix the stupid issue.....
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

i played rome total war first then edieval total war (1) then shogun shogun was ok in my opinion but wierd place to start

Considering the fact that I was probably 7 when it came out, I wouldn't know. The first TW game I saw played was Med, then I played the demo for Rome, wasn't impressed (that was when I had a maybe 11 year old attention span), then Med II, which I bought, loved, bought Rome, love more, bought Med, not impressed, bought Shogun, not impressed, recently pickd up Shogun again, beat with every faction. (Except the Hojo clan in Mogol invasion, anyone know if that's even possible?)
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Shogun Total War: Mongol Invasion if you can find a copy buy it. It has a Intro movie you won't find in any other version. All in all I must say Shogun is probably my favorite overall of the series. Not because the of 2d sprites, but because of it's feel. It was ruthless yet beautiful and I felt transported to a different time and a different place.

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    All in all I must say Shogun is probably my favorite overall of the series. Not because the of 2d sprites, but because of it's feel. It was ruthless yet beautiful and I felt transported to a different time and a different place.
    Well put. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Shogun was the original Total War game. Everything else has simply been imitation. The pure simplistic brilliance of the first game has been unparalleled as has it's atmosphere and artistic feel.

Moving to Shogun subforum.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Loved it. Still play it to this day. I would just be repeating everyones else's reasons for loving it- but it was a great place to start if you ask me.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Japan was a great place to start: same culture => more time and effort invested in AI => great result; quintessence of TW gameplay. I would die to see Shogun back, not a remake, but a better game with many new features.
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; August 15, 2008 at 07:29 AM.

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

It wasn't weird. It was ideal. The Total war series would probably not left the ground if it had to compete in european medieval history or classic rome/greece. Shogun allowed a niche of market that eventually jumpstarted this.

Plus the enviroment and atmosphere of Shogun is unmatched even today. MTW, MTW2 and RTW are better, more complete games, but they don't have that coolness and inovation shogun had.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Motep's Avatar Foederatus

I would love to play shogun! I myself started with MTW, and love the format.

I need eras!

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

It wasn't wierd.

It's the best of all the TW games. After RTW it's just pure plastic, no soul.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

It's a good thing CA uses great musical artists

Motep's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post
    It wasn't wierd.

johnhughthom's Avatar Vicarius

I thought that the passion CA had for the subject matter was obvious with Shogun, it was like they made a game for themselves and said "hey lets let other people play this." With each release since it's seems more and more about getting the "casual gamer" interested.

Shacklock's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I thought that the passion CA had for the subject matter was obvious with Shogun, it was like they made a game for themselves and said "hey lets let other people play this." With each release since it's seems more and more about getting the "casual gamer" interested.
    I agree and is it me or did Shogun have much more varied vids for Asssination and stuff than the later games? I used to love watchin them

Foederatus

Shogun was the original Total War game. Everything else has simply been imitation. The pure simplistic brilliance of the first game has been unparalleled as has it's atmosphere and artistic feel.
    View Post
    It wasn't wierd.

Pffff, you sure know what is sense <______<

The only thing is that the battlefield modeling of Shogun can never be compared with Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by Katene View Post
    Pffff, you sure know what is sense <______<

The only thing is that the battlefield modeling of Shogun can never be compared with Rome.

Nor can the battlefield modeling of RTW compare with M2 nor will any of them compare with ETW, yet still it was the art of the game that made it good. The sounds the tactics the strategy all there on the battlefield, just not in the greatest of detail. Yet 6 years ago or so the first time I entered the battlefield map on Shogun I was blown away. I just sat there looking at my army in full 2D glory in a relatively 3D map. I didn't even want to start the battle I was so amazed.

This was about the time that Dragon Throne and of course the Age of Empires series, where you couldn't even imagine such real time tactics. RTW was good, but aside from 3D battles & the soundtrack it misses something.
    Last edited by Armatus; August 13, 2008 at 09:55 AM.

Foederatus

Nor can the battlefield modeling of RTW compare with M2 nor will any of them compare with ETW, yet still it was the art of the game that made it good. The sounds the tactics the strategy all there on the battlefield, just not in the greatest of detail. Yet 6 years ago or so the first time I entered the battlefield map on Shogun I was blown away. I just sat there looking at my army in full 2D glory in a relatively 3D map. I didn't even want to start the battle I was so amazed.
    M2 is similar to Rome. As far as I know, their sounds are pretty indentical. Details make nothing, unless you know art illustrating such as Shogun did. The battle system is only add some attack for specified battle, so tactics and strategy not differs much.

E:TW have great distance, yes.

This was about the time that Dragon Throne and of course the Age of Empires series, where you couldn't even imagine such real time tactics. RTW was good, but aside from 3D battles & the soundtrack it misses something.
    What make R:TW famous is the battle system, not the soundtrack or details.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast